Friday, July 23, 2010

First Ski Trip (as told to me by my predecessor)

Allow me to start by saying that I admire him. He served my owner faithfully but like so many of our kind a broken zipper was his undoing. Still in the briefest passing he related to me over two decades of misadventures with her. This being the first: 


I was purchased specifically for the ski trip. Soft, navy blue, Oscar de le Renta. Oh I was something in my day. She was always hard on a zipper though, determined to carry as little as possible and then pushing hard to make sure I fit under the seat. Never keen to check bags, that one.  This trip however, our first, was a road trip. 

He thought introducing her to skiing would be a lovely holiday gift. He gave her ski pants on Christmas Eve and a Garfield figurine on skis.  On the day after Christmas he picked her up and away we drove under a cloudy winter sky. Destination: North Carolina. I know, I know it doesn't sound exciting as a ski destination but as I recall it was actually quite lovely. The soundtrack for this trip and many ski trips and fall and winter road trips for years to follow was very early Dan Fogelberg. He had  lived in that region in the early 70s and the music seemed written for mountains, and stark snowy landscapes, and young lovers...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...